Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Seeing the above photo takes me back to 1964 first job out of the army was lorry driver fo r N/Kingsman the bakers,and I had to take the rolls and bread to the ships first thing in the morning about 0500hrs,well what happen was that one morning it was a lot of fog infact you could not see your hand infront of you, well I had unloaded my first morning order which was for the boats I turned round at the end of the station which was the other end of the photo above,thinking to myself I know on the right hand side was open sea,so I said to myself if I hung close to the outside wall of the station I could drive back down and it is safe this side,well I was driving very slow because of the fog and could not see a thing when I came off the road onto the railway line which also went along the side of the station,And I could not move,I was there over two hrs waiting for a crane to come and lift me off in the mean time the Goldern/Arrow train was just about to pull in where you see in the photo,so they had to stop him till they got me off the line.I can you they was not happy with me nor my boss,because it made me late geting the rest of my round done cafes had no rolls,shops were waiting for bread and cakes,and there was a added cost of crane etc to get me going again,and that was not end of it,time I got round to the custom office I had mean over two hrs in the port ,so the custom officer came over"Whats going on mate you was unloading far to long" you only get 20mins not two hrs." Well I try to tell him what happen but he still was not happy,he called over his mate,and aske me to open the back of the lorry ,to see if I had any dugs or drinks, they would not take my word for it ,and started to pull all my rolls and bread apart ,after going most of it,they told me to go,All it was good then was to feed the birds with it,which I done then went back to the bakey to load up again,when I got there ,I was told they had send out a lorry hours ago to take over from me.But I just about kept my job. True story.

end link